There are different types of anxiety disorders. However, generalized anxiety disorder is one of the most common types of anxiety disorders. It is something where a person has to deal with on an everyday basis. It is a mental illness that is impossible to control by a person.
Addition to that, when you live with anxiety, it is hard for you to maintain a good relationship with your friends. But that doesn’t mean people with anxiety can’t maintain friendships or people with anxiety don’t care about their friends.
Here are 22 things which you need to know:
1. “It may seem irrational to you, but what I’m anxious about is very real for me.” — Paige Johnson
2. “Don’t give up on me when I isolate myself.” — Jen Jolly
3. “Be patient with me; it doesn’t always look like a full-blown panic attack. It sometimes comes out in the form of anger or what looks like major frustration.” — Tabitha Rainey
4. “I can’t just turn it off.” — Katie Keepman
5. “For real — it’s not you, it’s me. Generalized anxiety feels like drowning all the time. Most times life in general intensifies that feeling. If I have a hard time making plans, don’t take it personally.” — Cory Lee Tyler
6. “Anxiety doesn’t have a ‘look.’ I don’t have to be trembling or hyperventilating to be anxious.” — Vicki Blank
7. “I analyze things constantly because of anxiety. I cannot turn my brain off and it can be exhausting.” — Cailea Hiller
8. “It’s not your job to fix me. Please just love me the way I am.” — Carole Detweiler Oranzi
9. “If I’m not comfortable doing something, just let it go. Don’t try to convince me — it makes it worse.” — Jennifer DiTaranto
10. “Please don’t tell me to just get over it or that I’m being silly.” — Carla Estevez
11. “Don’t take it personally when I don’t want to go out. My comfort zone is my home. It’s my safe place.” — Elizabeth Vasquez
12. “I never know when it’s going to hit me. And when it does, I just need you to support me.” — Dani Hazlewood
13. “I know it can seem ridiculous at the time, but please, please, please just love me through it.” — Melissa Renee Wilkerson
14. “Every time I talk to you, I go over every word of the conversation many times in my head. If I said something I feel I like I shouldn’t have said, even if it’s as simple as incorrect grammar, I will obsess about it for years.” — Chelsea Noelani Gober
15. “When I can’t do something, no one is more disappointed than me. Please try to understand that.” — Lindsey Hemphill
16. “Even when things are wonderful, I’m always waiting for something horrible to happen.” — Lindsay Ballard
17. “When I’m being quiet, I’m not sad, bored, tired or whatever else they want to fill in the blank with. There’s just so much going on in my mind, sometimes I can’t keep up with what’s going on around me.” — Amanda Jade Briskar
18. “Everything can change in less than 30 seconds. Too many people in one area, no known exits in a certain situation — the list goes on.” — Ashleigh Young
19. “When you ask, ‘Are you OK?’ you might think I don’t trust you when I say, “Yes, I’m good!” But in my mind, I think you’ll stop seeing me as a kind, funny and calm person if you knew the truth.” — Arianne Gaudet
20. “I’m sorry. I’m sorry for every invite I’ve declined, every time I’ve seemed irrational or nasty because I was overwhelmed or scared. I’m sorry for every time I’ve said I’d do something but then backed out. I’m sorry my anxiety hurts you, too.” — Melissa Kapuszcak
21. “Don’t shut me out. My anxiety may stop me from doing certain things, but just being asked to join in can sometimes make my day.” — Vikki Rose Donaghy
22. “Give me some space, but don’t forget me.” — Vickie Boyette
I am a Business Management graduate from the University Of Staffordshire (UK) and a qualified personnel officer who completed the National Diploma of Training and Human Resource development at Institute of Personnel Management (Sri-Lanka).
Apart from my professional career in the field of HRM, I am also a freelance writer of web and business contents.