Renewal or replacement of a green card is subject to many grounds and conditions, including loss, damages, information errors, or if it was stolen. Commonly, a permanent resident uses the Form I-90 to have their green cards replaced or when applying for a renewal.

Being familiar with the application process guarantees smooth processing. Otherwise, you would become one of those immigrants who undergoes intense scrutiny from immigration officials.

Nonetheless, there are also circumstances when you need to have your green card replaced. This falls anywhere from incorrect information filing to a change of marital status. 

Circumstances That Obligates You to Replace Your Green Card

Replacement of a new card because of incorrect information like a misspelled name, wrong citizenship, or inaccurate date of birth should be fixed to correct system information. 

Another instance when you need to have your residency card replaced is when it gets damaged. If your card was lost or if it’s been stolen from you, regardless if it’s overseas, you need to Replace Resident Card immediately. 

Certain life conditions should also prompt you to seek for a card replacement or renewal. If you recently change your local address or marital status. This ensures you won’t run into legal problems or possibly face deportation due to the lack of supporting documents. 

Also, consider that USCIS doesn’t have direct supervision for all green card holders. Making sure your card is updated prevents issues that affect your U.S residency. If you obtain your green card under marriage, annulment or divorce, it could pose a problem. 

Although laws recognized by the USCIS state that transnational unions can have a falling, grounds are set, and prerequisites must be met. Marriage of two-years is required before an immigrant spouse can apply for a full permanent resident status. Therefore, if the union is dissolved before the timeframe, the immigrant spouse will be deportable. 

Requirements for the Renewal or Replacement of Your Green Card

The USCIS follows strict guidelines for the renewal or Replace of Resident Card as coded under immigration policies. The completion of the application form, including I-751 and I-829 for conditional permanent residency, is needed. 

Or Form I-90 for permanent residency holder and Form I-765 for Employment Authorization is the primary step. They can either be mailed to USCIS or emailed through the website.

To file for Replacing a Resident Card or a renewal, you need to be ready to have the following documents:

  • Copy of your current permanent resident card.
  • A copy of a government-issued ID in the absence of the green card.  
  • A copy of your marriage or birth certificate for information updates or corrections. 
  • Birth certificate, proof of marriage, or the court order stating the conversion of your name for legal name updates.

A fee of $540 for processing, application fee, and biometrics fee must also be paid before the issuance of your new green card. The receipt of your application is the Form I-797C or the Notice of Action.

This document will be mailed to your address after you have correctly filed and complied with the USCIS requirements. Your receipt may arrive within a maximum of three weeks after the submission of the application.

The estimated processing time of a new resident card is about 10 to 12 months.

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments